Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Curation

So far I've "played" with diigo, twitter search, feedly, and pinterest.  I also have a twitter account where I follow some math geeks that I've discovered through conferences, but don't do a good job of keeping up with the tweets.

I see myself using the pinterest account as a place to store ideas both for my classroom and my personal stuff.  I could get lost in the home ideas out there.  Way too much for me to do!  I find it a bit frustrating that a lot of the teacher stuff out there seemed to be looking for payment.

I think my team has determined a way for us to organize all of our bookmarks using diigo.  We've created two separate groups - 5th grade teacher & 5th grade student.  We are using the teacher group for professional sites, and the student group for actual sites for kids.   We are being diligent about tagging with really helpful tags so we can efficiently search.  Our plan is to then transfer these links to our 5th grade teacher pages as we need them for each unit.  Hopefully this will keep the page a bit more manageable than it has been in the past.

I think I have enough curation tools at my disposal.  Now what I need is time to actual curate!  I suppose it takes time to learn who has good stuff and who has crud.  Now that I have a better understanding of how to organize it, maybe I can spend some time this summer curating, organizing, and evaluating.

1 comment:

  1. I think we are on the right track finally! How great does it feel to have our drive organized? I hope we can figure out Diigo. It seemed like the RSS feed thing might be what we are looking for to share lists and sites? Do you think we might want a student Feedly account that had student news sites and maybe some other awesome things we find out there?

    ReplyDelete