Friday, October 25, 2013

Jo Boaler - Stanford class

I signed up for an on-line course from a Stanford professor about learning math.  I wasn't sure I would get through the entire course and sure enough I didn't.  The first video though was very interesting as she interviewed Stanford students about their thoughts, feelings, and memories about math.  I must say it was really discouraging.  Her main point was that math was a subject that alienated kids for a host of reasons.  Some felt they were the wrong gender, some thought they weren't smart enough, some felt that they could never measure up.  These were Stanford! kids.  Imagine how a "regular" kids have felt across the years.  There was a lot of discussion about how their teachers really didn't understand math and there seemed to be only one way to do a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment